Saturday, July 20, 2013

Comic Book Day: July 17 Comic Book Reviews

For me, this week has been smaller than the past few weeks. In more ways than just the new comics I picked up. Things are starting to slow down for me a little and since this summer has been busy and hectic, I am welcoming the chance to sit down and take a look at new titles that I have been meaning to read. As well as Young Avengers, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel and X-Men I have since added Guardians of the Galaxy, and East of West to my weekly pulls. I definitely look forward to reading more of these series as they come out, This week's reviews features a new title as well, at least new for me. So without further ado, let's get to it!

Warning: Potential Spoilers Ahead.

Avengers Assemble #17 


Avengers Assemble #17 cover by
Joe Quinones
Image courtesy of Marvel Wiki
This Avengers Assemble brings readers part 4 of The Enemy Within event happening across Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble. I don't quite understand why an event surrounding one character (Captain Marvel) is spread out over three different books but that's just me complaining about nothing. One thing that Kelly Sue DeConnick has done masterfully over this current arc has been to create Carol Danvers as an "unreliable narrator," of sorts. No where is this seen more than in this book, when Carol even asks herself if the conflict with this mysterious enemy (I won't give it away) is all in her head. With the other instances throughout the books, like things disappearing and appearing out of nowhere, I found myself questioning the validity of Carol's mental state as the main character. DeConnick really has done a wonderful job in sowing those seeds of doubt in the reader, making you think that this could all be for nothing. Matteo Buffagni's art really does add to the book as well. His characters seem to be popping off the page, and I absolutely love the page design and layout. Buffagni brings an energy to the characters that feels as though it's lifting off the page and finding a home inside your brain. My personal favorite panel from this book was the team up with Captain Marvel and Captain America. Buffagni really captures the bad ass feeling of these two heroes teaming up in the middle of New York just the way that we wanted to see it.

Verdict: 7.5 out of 10. DeConnick and Buffagni are packing this crossover event with some really good stuff. Definitely looking forward to reading the finale.

That's really it for comic book reviews for this week. I'm trying to catch up on some series that I left in the dust and want to start reading again. Hopefully I'll have more next week. Also, I'll be announcing a fun surprise next Wednesday, so be on the lookout for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment